About Me

My photo
New York, New York, United States
"Life isn't divided into genres. It's a horrifying, romantic, tragic, comical, science-fiction cowboy detective novel."

Thursday, March 20, 2008

My antidote to a grain of salt


So I've posted on xanga.com for years. Probably close to 8 of them. And I don't know why, but I'm now inspired to move my thoughts elsewhere. Isn't that a gorgeous picture? Being a California native, I'm endlessly enthralled by fall foliage. I mean just look at those colors.

Anyway, lately I've been thinking about how to return to a more credulous and innocent age; where I'm willing and able to see the beauty that's in the people and places that surround me. In my teens, I was all doom and gloom, convinced in humankind's inherent hideousness. Now that I'm (presumably) wiser, I realize that there just aren't enough hours in the day to spend it griping. That's not to say that I'm NEVER going to complain about anything. I'm human after all. And I do have my various objections. (Sharks, hippies, chocolate milk - to name a few) I just want to approach life knowing that uncertain terms are the norm. That "a grain of salt" is a cop-out. That surprises can be both terrible and wonderful. That life is, in the end, perishable and for that reason, so indelibly valuable.

No comments: