About Me

My photo
New York, New York, United States
"Life isn't divided into genres. It's a horrifying, romantic, tragic, comical, science-fiction cowboy detective novel."

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Not so plain


On the way to see The Little Mermaid musical, (which was fantastic) Irish noticed that girls were walking by and staring at my feet. At first he thought they were checking out the tattoo on my ankle but I surmised that they were in fact, scoping out my shoes. As I tell Irish this, he glances down, then looks back up at me and says with honest confusion, "But they're so plain!" Oh how I laughed...peal after peal of laughter.

Now I'm not a shoe-maniac so I can see how to a male, the shoes I had on were"plain." They're black with a slight heel. However, to the female eye, the height of the heel matters (kitten, flat, stiletto..) the type of black (matte, patent, leather..) the back of the shoe (slingback, full-back..) As I laughingly explained all of this to Irish, I watched as his features crumpled in bewilderment and dismay. He had no idea that shoes were defined with such precision and he really couldn't have cared less. Come to think of it, most of what females wear can be divided into categories, and then sub categories and even sub sub categories. It's ludicrous, yes, but sometimes it's nice to be able to define something - anything - so distinctly.

No comments: